Fencers to Face Dangerous Lions

By Martin R. Garay

The varsity fencing team, after nearly a month's rest, faces a strong Columbia team in New York tomorrow. The Crimson, which will be in its first Ivy League match, will have trouble extending its one-match winning streak.

The Lions, who won the fencing title last year, seem to have a good chance to repeat that feat this year. "I think Columbia is the strongest team in the Ivies," coach Edo Marion said. "They're strong at all weapons, and they always get good material-besides having two coaches."

Lack Experience

The Crimson, who were lacking experienced fencers when the season began, will be even greener when they face the Lions. Art Weissman, who contributed five victories against M. I. T. in the last match, and John Reitz, will not compete. Both of them are sick and will not travel with the team to New York.

Captain Cliff Ruderman will start at the number one foil. With a little bit of luck and a lot of speed, Ruderman could pull out two victories. Phil Rappaport and Weissman's replacement. Gilbert Castle, may win a hout apiece.

Strong Sabre

The Crimson's best chance is in the sabre. Larry Cetrulo should win three bouts; Richard Tolbert should take two; and Scott Beckett could steal one.

Without Reitz, the epee will be missing its most consistent and winning performer. Paul Vilta has yet to do well this year, but he may win one match along with his partners, Richard Bargar and Micky Irvings.

Freshman Match

The freshman fencing team routed M. I. T., 17-10, yesterday evening to lengthen its winning streak to three.

Captain Ron Bernstein at foil and Walt Morris at sabre led the team with three victories apiece. Roger Carrick, Donald Valentine and Jim Wood won two matches each.

The squad's next contest is with Columbia on Saturday.