Students Pay Extra For Phone Listings

Harvard students will have to pay 65 cents a month this year to have their telephone numbers listed in the Boston directory, even though they pay the same basic monthly rate for their phone as other people.

James O'Shea, Harvard's newly appointed telecommunications manager, said that the extra charge is due to Harvard's new Centrex phone system. O'Shea said federal regulations require an extra charge for Centrex listings. "The Harvard telephone office can't do anything about it," he said. O'Shea worked for the telephone company until he was hired by Harvard last Spring.

The Centrex system will save students money next year, O'Shea said, by reducing the installation charge at the beginning of each year from $7 to 50 cents.

O'Shea said it will become easier to reach University information operators as soon as a new comprehensive student directory is printed. The directory is scheduled to be really around the middle of November, and will be distributed free to students. The CRIMSON is also publishing a phone directory. It will include off-campus and Wellesley listings and will be distributed free the first week in November.