25 Kent Students Arrested After Grand Jury's Probe

By The ASSOCIATED Press

The student body president and an associate professor at Kent State University were among the first 25 persons to be booked Monday following a special grand jury probe of the Kent State riot last May. Two young men already in jail on drug charges also were served with indictments.

Craig Morgan, 20, student body president, was arrested in student government offices on the campus. He was charged with second-degree rioting during the disturbances of May 1 to 4. Thomas S. Lough, 42, an associate professor of sociology and anthropology, surrendered on a count of inciting to riot May 4, the day four Kent students were killed in a clash with National Guardsmen.

Morgan and Lough were named in secret indictments handed down Friday by a special state grand jury that investigated the campus rioting. In a report issued Friday, the grand jury also exonerated the Guard with regard to the deaths. The report said a major cause of the campus disorders was administrative permissiveness and laxity in discipline.

Also indicted was Richard Felber, 21, a former Kent student. He was charged with first-degree rioting, attempted arson and obstructing firemen. Helber is about to serve a 20-to 40-year sentence, convicted on three charges of selling hallucinogens.

Kent State President Robert I. White rejected Monday a student demand that the school oppose any indictments handed down by the jury. White also turned down demands that ROTC, defense research and a police training center be removed from the campus.

Pleading innocent at arraignment, Lough was released on $5000 bond, and Morgan on $1000.