Quincy Beats Eliot to Win House Cross Country Title

The Quincy House cross country team. anchored by four women, utilized superior depth to upset Eliot House in the intramural cross country meet yesterday at Soldiers' Field.

Ben Lounsbury of Lowell House won the race, covering the 1.9-mile course in 9:28.

The next four finishers were David Powlison and Rich Barton from Quincy House, Rich Engelbrecht from Eliot. and Chuck McCormick from Winthrop.

Ben Beach, the fourth Quincy harrier to cross the finish line, attributed the victory to "our uniforms and real gutsy running from our girls." Quincy runners wore blue shirts with gold and white trim and were the best-dressed team.

Dorothy Horns ran for Quincy and finished 122nd out of 125 participants. "Even though the girls weren't in shape, we had fun and helped the team morale," she said.

Quincy Athletic Secretary Rick Barton credited the victory to stimulants. "In addition to the four women on the team, we passed around little green bennies to the runners so they could get through the agonizing run." Barton claimed.

Eliot had four of the first ten finishers but did not have sufficient depth to beat Quincy, which won, 202-238. Mather finished a distant third with Leverett, Adams, Lowell, Winthrop, Dunster, Kirkland, and Dudley trailing.

Anthony Poteete from Straus Hall won the freshman race held prior to the House race. Poteete ran throughout high school but "did not want to commit the time to run track for Harvard." he said.

Jeff McElroy of Thayer Hall and Richard Nelson from Weld followed Poteete. There were no woman entered in the freshman race.