Booters Beat Tough Tufts

By Robert W. Gerlach

Pete Bogovich scored two second-period goals yesterday to break open a close game with Tufts, and the varsity soccer team went on to win its sixth consecutive game of the season, 4-1.

Harvard did not play its best soccer of the year yesterday. The forward attack failed to take advantage of the wings, and crossfield passing, to redirect the attack, was frequently overlooked.

But the Jumbos offered little threat to the Crimson except for freshman Gabriel Gomez, who created several dangerous situations single-handedly on the left wing.

Harvard opened the game with its second-team forwards and halfbacks, and the first period was a see-saw battle around midfield.

After about 15 minutes the first string entered, but the course of the game did not change. With less than a minute left in the period, goalie Bill Meyers and fullback Bill Brock fell over each other, and Tufts's John Blanding put the ball into an empty net.

The Crimson tied the game on its first offensive rush of the second period. Charlie Thomas headed the ball to Gomez at midfield, and Gomez worked the ball past two defenders and beat goalie Dick Hansen to his left side.

Bogovich then broke the game open with his two tallies. On the first score, he outmaneuvered two defenders and fired a left-footed drive into the lower right corner. Following a cornerkick a few minutes later, Bogovich scored with his right foot after a shot by Gomez rebounded in front.

Gomez and Thomas combined on a perfect scoring play in the third quarter. Gomez had an open shot from the right wing, but he passed the ball across the goal to Thomas at the far corner of the net, and Thomas completed the play.

The game ended on a frustrating note for Thomas. With seconds remaining, halfack Bob Woods fed Thomas on the right wing. The junior from Gambia missed the goal post by inches as the gun sounded.