Yardlings Surprise Many

It was supposed to be an off-year for the freshman cross country team, and early season meets easily confirmed the dismal expectations. But lately the Yardlings have been turning in some pleasant surprises.

Tuesday, Northeastern was favored to win the freshman division of the Greater Bostons, and thus become the first team other than Harvard to do so. In a dual meet September 30 the talented Huskies had defeated Harvard, 21-36.

But strong running by several Yardlings Tuesday and Northeastern's use of two good freshmen in the varsity race led to a 28-28 tie. Crimson captain Rick Rojas had little trouble finishing first, but perhaps the most satisfying thing was the backup help he received.

Andy Campbell, the fastest-improving runner on the squad, moved well late in the 3.1-mile race to place second, not too far behind Rojas. Jerry Hines took fifth, while Fred Linsk, recovering well from a foot injury, and Jerry Hadley completed the Crimson scoring.

The tie in the GBC's followed an exciting upset over Dartmouth a week ago which raised the Crimson's record to 5-3. The only meet left is Friday's Big Three between Harvard, Yale and Princeton. The Elis and the Crimson should stage a close battle for first.