Crimson Football Team Beats Princeton, 29-7

By Evan W. Thomas

Coach John Yovicsin said before the Princeton game that Harvard would have to pass to win. Late in the fourth quarter, Harvard had completed two passes for a total of twenty yards. But the Crimson was still winning, 15-7, largely because Harvard's defensive backs had caught more passes than Harvard's receivers.

With only four minutes left in the game, quarterback Rod Foster walked up to the line of scrimmage and blinked at the undefended, open field stretching out ahead of him. Foster called an audible, took the snap, and took off straight ahead for a 78-yard touchdown run.

While the Princeton defensive spotters wept in the press box and the Princeton alumni drained their flasks, Steve Harrison ripped off a 47 yard run and John Hagerty pulled in a seven yard Eric Crone pass for Harvard's second touchdown in two minutes. A 15-7 upset had become a startling 29-7 rout.

Princeton trudged back on the field, threw a few passes, and trudged back off, thoroughlyexasperated. The Tigers had penetrated Harvard's 25 yard line five times during the game and three times in the fourth quarter.

Harvard's pass defense frustrated the Tigers all afternoon. Princeton marched to the Crimson's 16 early in the fourth quarter and Steve Golden came up with a diving interception. Princeton quickly got the ball back again and drove to the Harvard 27 before Gary Farneti stepped in and picked off a third down pass.

Then after Harvard had once again futilely pounded away at the Princeton defense for three downs, the Tigers took over and worked back to the Crimson 22. This time Brad Fenton blew in on a corner back blitz and nailed the Tigers' Rod Plummer for a-15 yard loss.

Four plays later Foster broke away on his quarterback sneak. Princeton coach Jake McCandless threw away his clip board and Harvard alumni started entertaining thoughts of a Big Three championship.

Pathetic Passing

Princeton may have given the game away, but at least Harvard didn't drop the gift. Although Harvard's passing game was fairly pathetic, the rushing offense picked up 308 yards on the ground.

The rushing game sustained a 50-yard drive in the second quarter, but the Tigers held on their own 27. Richie Szaro came in and drilled a 47 yard field goal to give the Crimson a 3-0 lead.

Princeton quickly handed Harvard another six points, fumbling on their own 20. Harrison slashed out 16 yards in two sweeps and Foster rolled out for a touchdown with less than two minutes remaining in the half.

Freeman Fumbles

Harvard gave the touchdown right back at the beginning of the third quarter as Bruce Freeman fumbled returning a short second half kick-off. The Tiger's excellent halfback, Hank Bjorklund, broke away for several long gainers to put Princeton back in the ball game, 9-7.