Defense Stars As Icemen Smother B. C., 4-0

By Robert W. Gerlach

The Crimson's defense played its finest game of the season, recording its third shutout in five games, as Harvard easily defeated a young Boston College hockey team, 4-0, last night.

Sophomore defenseman Kevin Hampe turned in the best performance of the evening and completely stifled the left wing attack of the Eagles. The entire Crimson defensive line did an outstanding job of keeping the B. C. wings from centering a pass in the Harvard end.

But goalie Bruce Durno and sophomore Joe Bertagna made several tremendous saves to preserve the shutout. The defense reduced the number of routine saves Durno was called upon to make, but the senior goaltender broke-up half a dozen Eagle breakaways and certainly earned the shutout. Bertagna made four difficult stops on a last minute B. C. power play to equal the calibre of Durno's performance.

The game was decided early in the first period when the Crimson scored twice in the opening five minutes. Harvard started very slowly, but, on its first power play, sophomores Dave Hynes and Bob McManama connected. Hynes fed McManama at the blue line, and the Crimson center faked the goalie. Neil Higgens, to the ice and flipped the puck behind him.

On the Crimson's next rush up the ice, Steve Owen scored, assisted by Dan DeMichele, and Harvard seemed certain of victory. The forward lines, shuffled because of the absence of Joe Cavanagh, never appeared in high gear, but the performance of the defense kept the match a one-sided affair until midway in the third period.

Harvard scored its prettiest goal of the evening with six minutes left in the second period. Owen centered the puck to DeMichele who fired from about 20 feet out. The shot was just wide to the right, but McManama was there to tip the shot behind Higgins.

At eight minutes of the third period B. C., sensing defeat, picked up the pace of the game considerably. But the Eagles had only one good line, its sophomore first line, and Durno frustrated every rush.

Defenseman Dave Jones concluded the scoring single-handedly at 15 minutes of the final period. Intercepting a clearing pass at the blue line. Jones, while being checked, fired a 35 ft. shot into the net. Higgins was well screened on the play by Leif Rosenberger.

Cavanagh, wearing a protective mask, played only on the Crimson power play. He started very cautiously on his first appearance but came close to scoring twice in the third period. He appears well on his way to recovery.

In the intermission battle of the bands, an unidentified but easily visible drunken preppie won with his version of Gypsy Rose Lee.