Varsity Faces Army, Glass Door, In Swimming Meet at West Point

By Bennett H. Beach

A warm-up meet against Springfield behind them, the varsity swimmers will meet a tough match this afternoon in Army at West Point. It will be the Eastern League opener for both teams.

The Cadets, who are usually strong, appear to be even better this year due to a large number of excellent sophomores. Among the best returning lettermen are Jack Frink, a middle-distance freestyler, and Rick Rentz, Eastern champion in the 1650-free last winter.

Harvard's squad is similar in makeup, Only one good swimmer is no longer with the team, and a superb group of sophomores has moved up to the varsity.

Harold Miroff, an assistant coach for the Crimson, pointed out a few days ago that on the whole, the best times of the Army swimmers are better than those produced by the Crimson. These times were recorded last year, and it is hard to tell how fast the two teams are progressing this year.

Working Out

Among the best matchups should be Frink and Harvard's Steve Krause, who has been swimming more workouts than he was a year ago and is in excellent shape. Krause has been doing double workouts about twice a week.

Last year, the Crimson scored a major victory over the Cadets in Cambridge, the first Harvard win in the series since 1962. Harvard went on to win four of its remaining League meets and finish fourth in the standings. Army was a dismal seventh.

There were extensive instructions for the swimmers as they prepared to head for West Point by bus yesterday. Manager Glenn Koocher had been advised by Army that Harvard should bring coat and tie in order to eat in the mess hall.

The team has also been encouraged to be more careful when using the revolving glass door at the Thayer Hotel, where only the freshmen will stay this time. Two years ago, when the team tried to leave the lobby too quickly, the door was jarred and one of the glass panes fell out and broke.