Caucus Elects Drinan Over Kerry To Fight Rep. Philbin in Primary

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

John F, Kerry, the Navy dove trying to oust Philip J. Philbin (D-Mass) in the September 15 primary, came in a close second place to Rev. Robert S. Drinan at a caucus held on Saturday.

Eight-hundred people qualified for the caucus of Democratic candidates, which was open to all residents of the Third Congressional District who are college age or older. A split between two liberal candidates helped Philbin stay in office in 1968.

Opt Out

Kerry withdrew after the third ballot, when Drinan had captured under 60 per cent of the vote in a race that had thinned out to only two men. Kerry said he would abide by the caucus's decision. "Let's beat Philbin!" Kerry said as he received a standing ovation.

The caucus assigned electoral votes to cities and towns according to the number of registered voters. Rules called for nominating the first candidate to capture two-thirds of the votes.

Harrison Chandler Stevens. who ran unsuccessfully against Philbin in 1968 as an Independent, dropped out after the second ballot. He did not endorse either Kerry or Drinan and told his supporters only to "settle firmly on one candidate, then go out and beat Philbin next fall."

Stevens

Stevens. in his speech before the caucus, talked about ending the Vietnam War soon, increasing citizen participation in our political system, and establishing domestic self-help programs. In 1968 Stevens, as an Independent, got more votes than the Republican candidate who opposed Philbin. Stevens enjoyed the support of many college volunteers last year in his Congressional campaign.

Philbin, entrenched in his District for 27 years, is 71 years old. His opponents have criticized him as a hawk on Vietnam and a conservative on most other issues.

Drinan thanked Kerry and Stevens for bowing out and asked for a united front to oppose Philbin.

Drinan said inflation, a militaristic society, and the Middle East question are America's three most pressing issues. He said this country should no longer try to contain Communism.

Kerry flew to San Francisco on Sunday to be filmed in a program for National Educational Television.