Doctor Unable to Leave Czechoslovakia To Conduct Spring Courses at Harvard

Dr. Hanus Papousek, a Czechoslovakian pediatrician scheduled to teach psychology courses at Harvard this Spring, is still waiting in his country for official permission to come to the United States.

The Psychology Department has told both Papousck and the American embassy in Prague that the invitation to become a visiting professor is still valid, Roger A. Webb, lecturer on Psychology, said, Beyond that the department consensus is that it is "better to do nothing," Webb said.

Webb said that it is unlikely that Papousek is being held in Czechoslovakia for political reasons. He said that Papousek has visited England and the United States several times and returned to his country after each visit.

Hard to Leave

The incident is "just part of a general restriction on the travel of people-all we can do is wait," Webb said. Czech officials allow only a few academics to leave their country, according to Webb.

Papousek is scheduled to teach an undergraduate course on behavioral development and a graduate seminar in infancy at Harvard. Webb said that the courses will be cancelled if Papousek does not arrive.

Mother and Child

Papousek is a researcher at the Institute for Care of Mother and Child in Prague. The Institute combines social service and research by providing a place for mothers to give birth and, if they choose, leave their children during infancy.