Moratorium Activities To Differ This Spring

The Harvard and Massachusetts Moratorium Committees have taken advantage of the cold-weather lull to organize spring campaigns that will differ from the student-centered programs of last fall.

Alwina Bennett of Mass Pax explained that her organization was working towards a different goal now that it was last fall.

"Especially after November, we felt that we had a large constituency, and that a substantial minority actively opposed the war. We think that the important thing is to concentrate on local planning and plan-ning for congressional elections." she said. "We also want to reach people who may be sympathetic with us but who haven't acted," she added.

Miss Bennett said that the only mass actions currently planned, rallies on April 15 at the Internal Revenue Center in Andover and the Federal Plaza in Boston, are designed to make people aware of the "economic aspects of the war." "We hope that we can appeal to a broader constituency this way," she added.

The Harvard Moratorium Committee has no definite plans as of now, but Richard Zorza '71 stated that one likely possibility would be creating "neighborhood peace centers" in Cambridge before the April 15 rallies. "There was a great response to our canvassing last October 15," he said.

Joe Gebhardt and Dennis Kanin, both second-year law students, are heading Mass Pax's efforts to elect anti-war congressman. Kanin said, "This is a more organized effort than in 1968, and we think that anti-war candidates will have a much better chance of being elected."

Original moratorium plans which called for one more day each month to be devoted to anti-war activity have been abandoned. Zorza commented, "I don't really think anyone ever thought that would work."