At Last! Harvard 10, Boston College 5

By John L. Powers

All-American center Tim Sheehy has played his last game for Boston College. Harvard's amazing hockey team made sure of that last night, as the streaking Crimson potted four first-period goals and added six more in the final 11 minutes to humiliate the Eagles. 10-5 at McHugh Forum and advance to the ECAC semifinals. The victory, Harvard's first over B. C. since 1968, and only its third in four years over the Eagles, was well worth the wait.

Senior wing Jack Tureo, the foremost Eagle hater of them all, tallied five goals and added an assist to personally eliminate B. C. from the tournament, but there were several others who had a hand in the victory.

Senior center George McManama accounted for six points, all on assists, and moved into fourth place on Harvard's all-time scoring list, with 103 career points. Ron Mark, the third member of the Crimson's powerful senior line, added a pair of goals and two more assists.

And Bruce Durno, who was forced to play a magnificent game throughout the second period, when Harvard was hanging on desperately, did the rest. It was a beautiful thing to watch, and the fact that Harvard did it at Chestnut Hill made it all the better.

The Crimson had come out flying, and before the game was six minutes old, had built a 3-0 lead, on a breakaway goal by Dan DeMichele, and tallies by Mark and Turco. At 14:39. Sheehy added another, and the Eagle fans sat silent, their coffee growing cold in their hands. This was highly unusual, you understand. It was too good to last.

Four minutes later. Paul Shilling put B. C. on the scoreboard with a point-blank shot in front, and throughout the second period, the Eagles kept up the pace. Time after time B. C. stormed into the Harvard zone. and time after time the Eagles were foiled by heads-up defensive play and Durno's heroic performance.

But at 6:58 of the final period. Sheehy put a blast by Darno, and it seemed that the game was taking a familiar turn Then came the Crimson's second explosion Turco contributed a fifth goal at 8:49, and DeMichele added his second 26 seconds later to make it 6-2. B. C. it seemed, was dead.

But Then

But before the Crimson had even realized that it was four goals ahead, it was only two goals ahead. Charlie Toezylowski scored from a scramble at 10:20, and captain John Sullivan added the fourth 69 seconds later, Harvard was in trouble.

But Turco slapped another goal past Eagle netminder Jim Barton at 15:36, and still another at 15:37, Then Steve Owen scored on a breakaway. It was 9-1, and the crowd began buttoning their coats. Even after Sheehy scored again at 18:23, to lessen the humiliation somewhat, Harvard tallied again, on a short-range goal by Mark, with assists from McManama and Turco. It was double-figures against B. C.-for the first time in history

So Harvard will play Cornell, a 6-1 victor over St. Lawence, in the ECAC semifinals Friday night at Boston Garden. The Crimson, after its defeat at Ithaca last month, will be a considerable underdog.

But Harvard at last, is a gutsy, talented cohesive hockey team. It has taken more than three months to get that way. And it was worth every minute of it last night, just to make Sheehy hang up his skates.