DeMichele Hopes to Start At Third Base on Monday

By Robert W. Gerlach

Last year coach Loyal Park began the spring baseball tour of the South with John Ballantyne at third base Behind Ballantyne was Dan DeMichele, who had been with the team less than a week because of the extended hockey season.

During the tour, DeMichele went 11 for 13 at the plate and secured the permanent starting position. The left-handed sophomore led the team in batting and stolen bases until the final weeks of the season, when he slid into a deep batting slump. Still, he finished the year with a .342 average, second only to Pete Varney (.377).

Extra Week

This winter the hockey team failed to advance through the ECAC semifinals, so DeMichele has an extra week this spring to make the transfer from hockey to baseball. Considering his early success last year. DeMichele could expect a smooth transition.

But with the season only seven days away, DeMichele is once again the team's back-up third baseman. He is being pushed hard for the starting job by sophomore Mike Thomas. "He's doing a really great job and I've got my hands full," DeMichele said.

Although he is in condition from the hockey season DeMichele has found that there is a difference between hockey and baseball conditioning. "I'm in shape to hit a puck out on the field," DeMichele said. "My arms are conditioned to hitting a slap shot rather than throwing the ball."

"I'm also not in shape to take a full swing at the plate," DeMichele added. "I have to remember I don't have a stick in my hands, and get accustomed to taking a full turn. I haven't been exactly setting the world on fire so far."

Confident

But DeMichele is confident that he will be ready for the opening game next Monday. His confidence is not so much based on himself as it is on his coach, Loyal Park. "Our coach is just fantastic in going over every aspect of the game," he said. "Every day we practice for four hours not only covering all the fundamentals but even getting in a nine inning game. We play more baseball in a week than any other team."

Several players have not returned this year because Park's schedule is so demanding, but DeMichele has nothing but praise for the approach. "You might hate it while you're in the Cage, but afterwards, when you realize all that you get out of a practice, you really appreciate it," DeMichele said.

Although a big man on the hockey team (6' 2". 213 lbs.), DeMichele relies on speed and reflexes rather than power in the batting box. He concentrates on hitting the ball to a specific place rather than hitting for the fences.

"I guess my father really emphasized that striking out was the worst thing in the world." DeMichele recalled. The lessons from his father have been heeded, for DeMichele set a Harvard record last spring when he struck out only 3 times in 79 at bats.

Natural Strength

"Now that I know I'll hit the ball, I've started to concentrate on hitting the ball for distance," he added. "This season I want to take advantage of my natural strength."

In the field DeMichele again capitalizes on his quick reflexes. "I used to play shortstop, but I just don't have the speed to cover all that territory," DeMichele said. "Third base demands quick reflexes to keep the ball in the infield and make the long throw to first."

Coach Park has put DeMichele at the lead-off position in the batting order to take advantage of both his batting consistency and quick reflexes. DeMichele frequently got the jump on pitchers last season, hitting the first pitch and then stealing, second base. "There are a lot of mistakes in collegiate baseball," he said. "Once you're to second, you've got a good chance of scoring."

DeMichele has set only one goal for himself this year; "I want to go to the World Series in Omaha." The hockey team didn't make it to Lake Placid, but DeMichele's thinking baseball now.