YPSL, Ecology Group Challenge Corporation to a Debate on G.M.

In a letter to the President and Fellows Wednesday, two Harvard organizations challenged the Corporation to a public debate on whether Harvard should vote its shares of General Motors stock with the proposals of Campaign G.M.

The two groups-the Harvard Young People's Socialist League (YPSL), and the Harvard Ecology Coalition-have invited the Corporation to send a representative to an April 9 debate to discuss the University's position.

If the offer is refused, the debate will still be held-with an empty chair representing the Corporation.

In Wednesday's letter the two organizations protested the statement by George F. Bennett '33, treasurer of Harvard College, that General Motors was "doing well by" its stockholders. They said ". . . some provision should be made for student and Faculty participation in the decision of how to vote the University's stock. . ." and suggested the public debate.

John D. Stophens '70 president of Harvard YPSL, said he hopes a public debate "will build support for a Faculty resolution asking the Corporation to vote in favor of the Campaign G.M. proposals."

Martin L. Kilson, professor of Government, will propose such a resolution at the April 14 Faculty meeting, Harvard owns 287,000 shares-one tenth of one per cent-of G.M. common stock.

The two controversial proposals appearing on the General Motors proxy statement are:

to enlarge G.M.'s board of directors from 24 to 27 seats, adding three representatives of the public:

to set up a "shareholders' committee" to assess G.M.'s impact on the public-especially in relation to pollution.

By getting these two proposals on the proxy statement, Campaign G.M.-a group of Washington lawyers supported by Ralph Nader-hopes to force General Motors to become more responsive to the public welfare.

The proxy statement will be sent to all G.M. stockholders on April 18.