Dellinger

eliminate the subtlety of our argument. We must realize that slogans like "Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh, the NLF is going to win" are often barriers to communication";

That the approach of the movement to hostile groups should be to "ask them to join us." Dellinger said that "pig??baiting" and yelling obscenities at men in uniform is counterproductive;

That "we have to focus on the fundamental issues. We must avoid violence, as the action soon becomes the issue and people lose sight of the cause for which the action was taken."

In speaking of non-violence, Dellinger said that he meant non-violence against people, not property.

Avoiding the revolutionary rhetoric for which some of his co-defendants have become famous, Dellinger presented complex arguments against the judicial system. He said that 90 per cent of the people in Cook County Jail are black, and that many of them are essentially political prisoners serving long terms in jail for such crimes as possession of marijuana or petty theft.

Speaking of the contempt of court citations which he and the other defendants drew for using obscenities at the trial, Dellinger said, "It reflects the cultural bias of the country today that you can't refer in straight, simple language to one of the most desirable and wonderful human functions."