JV Sports Won't Suffer If Ivies Tighten Budgets

Fears that fund shortages would force Ivy League schools to cut back on JV and freshmen athletics have proved unfounded, according to Harvard's Athletic Director Alex Samborski. But the Ivy athletic directors are looking for other means of reducing their expenditures.

Some colleges will not field JV teams in every sport because of lack of interest, but none will eliminate sub-varsity teams for lack of money.

Ivy directors meeting this weekend discussed several possible ways to cut back on athletic budgets, but according to Samborski, their considerations were "exploratory" and "not conclusive." Among the possibilities:

Limiting the size of traveling squads and the length of schedules.

Arranging schedules and traveling plans so that teams from different sports and perhaps even different colleges can travel together.

Asking hotels to offer Ivy teams reduced rates on the condition that those teams patronize only the contracted hotels while competing in a given area.

Reducing the number of long trips by restricting inter-regional competition.

The directors will meet again in May with their business managers to formulate specific proposals to the Ivy League Eligibility and Coordination Committee, a group composed of the deans of the eight Ivy Colleges.

If the proposals survive that committee, they will climb the next step of Ivy League bureaucracy and come before the Ivy Presidents' Committee for final approval.