Ince, Webster Meet Today In Crucial Lacrosse Game

By Bennett H. Beach

Two of the nation's best lacrosse attackmen will play on the Business School field at 2:30 p.m. today when Harvard hosts a powerful Cornell team in its second Ivy League game.

The two attackmen are the Crimson's John Ince, the league's scoring leader in 1968, and Cornell's first team All-American Mark Webster, who led all Ivy scorers last year, when Ince was runner-up. So far, in two games and one exhibition. Webster has 15 goals.

Ince differs from Webster in that he is primarily a feeder from behind the cage, and therefore gets assists more often than goals. When he shoots, it is generally a result of circling the net and stuffing the ball into one of the corners, usually on a pass from outside.

Three Straight

Today's game will be the first really tough one for the Crimson since the season opener with Navy, which the Midshipmen won, 9-7. Since then. Harvard has won three straight and has had trouble only with Penn.

The only squad to defeat Cornell, a team which has been extremely strong in recent years, was the Long Island Athletic Club. The LIAC, perhaps the best team in the nation, earlier beat Army-considered the nation's best collegiate team-by four goals. Cornell lost to the club 10-9, in overtime. However, the LIAC had done some heavy traveling and did not play as well as usual against the Big Red.

But Cornell has dumped two other teams which are usually among the best in their regions. Cornell downed Denison, 13-8, and then beat Cortland, 8-6.

The Ithacans are benefiting this spring from a large number of returning lettermen at all positions and, at the same time, a talented group of sophomores to add depth. It is hard to find a weakness, especially at defense and attack.

There are fewer standouts at midfield, but coach Rich Moran has four different lines which he can use with relative confidence.

Cornell also has the advantage of a strong training program in the fall. Ned Harkness, who used to coach lacrosse there, resigned that post in order to concentrate on his hockey responsibilities, and was therefore able to assist in last fall's program without violating Ivy League rules.