White Asks City To Vote Against GM Management

By Scott W. Jacobs

Boston Mayor Kevin H. White yesterday endorsed the Campaign to Make General Motors Responsible and urged four city stock funds and Harvard University to turn over their proxy votes to the Ralph Nader-supported insurgent stockholders.

White's statement follows a similar endorsement March 16 from New York Mayor John V. Lindsay, who asked the New York City pension system to vote its 162,000 shares of GM stock with Campaign GM.

Four Agencies

The four Boston agencies-the George Robert White Fund, the Boston Public Library, the Board of Health and Hospitals, and the Benjamin Fnanklin Foundation-own a total of 3572 shares of GM stock.

The 3572 shares are only a token amount of the 284 million shares of GMstock outstanding. The number, however, represents all GM stock known in Boston city stock funds.

White wanted to endorse the Campaign GM proposals earlier, a spokesman from the mayer's office said, 'but he could not find any GM stock owned by major city agencies,

White is a trustee of two of the city agencies and highly influential in a third. His e?erscment is expected to lead at least three of the agencies to support Campaign GM.

In writing President Pusey, (White became the second influential Harvard alumntts to ask publically that Harvard support Campaign GM. White graduated in 1978 from the School of Public Administration.)

Rep. John Brademas '19 (D-Ind-I, a member of the Board of Overseers, Satutday told Washingtou Post that Harvard should vote against the management,

"I do not believe that the only criterion a university should follow in making investments is the profitability of a firm, although it's a key factor." he said.

"Other criteria should be taken into account, such as the policies and actions of a firm as to cout?lling its own pollution," he added.

The Harvard Corporation-which owns 287,000 shares of GM stock-will not decide how the University will vote until the middle of May. The GM annual meeting where stock proxies will be totalled is scheduled for May 22 in Detroit.

On April 6. the Corporation said it would reconsider an earlier decision to vote with the GM management and began soliciting opinions from members of the community.