B.U. Nine Edges Crimson; Harvard Loses GBL Lead

By Robert W. Gerlach

Rightfielder Bob Majocco's wind-blown three-run homer in the second inning carried Boston University to a 5-4 triumph over the Crimson yesterday at Soldiers' Field.

The game, B.U.'s first victory in five games, knocked Harvard out of first place in the Creator Boston League race. The Crimson must now sweep its remaining GBL contests. including a May 12 match with Northeastern. to successfully defend last year's championship.

Harvard collected 11 hits off right hander Bruce Villenenve. including a ninth inning home-run by Dan DeMichele but the sidearm specialist stranded 13 Harvard runners.

Early B.U. Lead

Four Crimson hurlers held the Terriers to six hits, but B.U. combined three hits and two errors in the bottom half of the second to build an early 4-0 lead.

With one out in the second. Greg Stone and Chuck Hohl singled and advanced on a Villeneuve bunt. Centerfielder Chuck McDermott then hit what appeared to be a rally-ending grounder, but the ball skidded past third baseman Mike Thomas and bounced out of shortstop Art Serrano's glove.

Maiocco then lofted his fly-ball to left. DeMichele chased the ball to the fence, but as he reached to make a catch, the fence fell under his weight and the ball landed a yard away.

Narrows Margin

Harvard narrowed the margin in the fifth when, with two out and one man on, the Crimson delivered four consecutive singles. But after a walk loaded the bases, Villenueve got captain Jack Turco on a grounder to second and preserved his 4-3 lead.

B.U. scored what proved to be the winning tally in their half of the inning. Third baseman Dave Crescenzi singled to start the inning, advanced on a single by Villenueve. and scored on a deep sacrifice fly to center by McDermott.

Although DeMichele blasted a home run to narrow the gap to 5-4 in the ninth. Harvard's chances looked bleak when sluggers Pete Bernhard and Pete Varney struck out.

But B.U. choked as the smell of victory and two infield errors put the tying run on second Villenueve however dashed the Crimson hopes by striking out pinchhitter Tom Waldstein.