City Councilors Discuss Proposal That Will Regulate Demonstrations

By Michael Ryan

The Cambridge City Council last night debated whether it should require leaders of demonstrations to post bond before receiving parade permits.

The motion, made by City Councilor Walter J. Sullivan. was prompted by the violence in Harvard Square on April 15th. The motion would make holders of permits responsible for damages "which occur as a direct result of their parades or demonstrations." with the amount of the bond determined by the City Solicitor.

Sullivan strongly condemned the riots: "Most of the disruption was in my neighborhood." he said. "My wife and children had to be taken out of the house, and all the stores on my street were looted."

Testifying in opposition to the bill, Gerald F. Berlin, the chairman of the Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, called it "unworkable and unconstitutional." Berlin maintained that existing legislation on parades is enough to protect the city.

Asked by Councilor Barbara Ackermann if the city could have denied a permit on April 15th. he replied "The City does not have to use the Bill of Rights as a suicide pact."

Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci objected that the resolution would apply to parades by fraterual and religious groups. Sullivan said that it could also be applied to the University if demonstrations originating on University property spilled out onto the streets, but agreed with Vellucci's suggestion to send the motion to the Council's Committee on ordinances for discussion and rewriting.