Ruggers Overcome Princeton, 9-8, After Losing Early 6-0 Advantage

With just over a minute to play in the game, fullback Joe Daly converted a penalty shot to give Harvard's rugby team a 9-8 victory over Princeton Saturday in the Farmington Cup competition in Farmington, Conn.

Earlier in the afternoon on the same field, Yale downed Dartmouth, 14-8, for the Hartford Cup, setting up a meeting between Harvard and Yale this weekend in New Haven. The Elis are the defending Ivy League champions.

Against Princeton, the Crimson took an early 6-0 lead before the Tigers slowly caught up and finally went ahead. After fifteen minutes of the first half, Daly booted in a penalty kick from midfield to put his team ahead, 3-0.

Minutes later, Dick Domaigue picked off an up-and-under kick on the run, broke three tackles, and scored for a 6-0 lead.

Then Princeton started its comeback. The Tigers quickly advanced to the Crimson five-yard-line and then muscled their way into the end zone and added a field goal to trail by only one point at halftime.

Princeton went ahead, 8-6, on a penalty kick early in the second half and threatened to increase its lead throughout the rest of the game until Daly scored again.

The match, which was sponsored and catered by the Schaefer Brewing Company, will be televised within the next two weeks.