Cindermen Down Unbeaten Army

By Robert Decherd

(Special to the CRIMSON)

WEST POIN, May 2-A sweep of the 120-yard big hurdles-led by Walter Johnson gave the Harvard track team a necessary boost here this afternoon, and the unbeaten Crimson went on to an 84-70 dual victory over previously undefeated Army.

The win was an important one for Harvard, which must stave on challenges from the Cadets and Penn in defense of its Hep title a week from now at Yale.

There were some anxious moments earlier today when sprinter Chris Alvord managed to score only two points in the 100 and 220.

But it took only as long as Army's ultra-efficient meet marshals needed to set up the high hurdles for Johnson, Ben Lounsbury, and Ed Baskauskas to change to change the tempo of the meet.

The Harvard trio crossed the finish line first, second, and third with Johnson winning in 15.6. The sweep gave the Crimson a comfortable 72-56 margin with the two mile yet to come.

Juniors Dave Pottetti and Tom Spengler sealed the Crimson's third dual triumph when they pulled away from teammate Mike Koerner and Army's Steve Fee on the seventh lap of the two mile, and strode home in identical times of 9:08.6.

Alvord trailed the Cadets' Tony Dedmond and Kevin Flanagan to the wire in the 100, and a desperate attempt to nip Flanagan left the Harvard junior sprawled out on Army's slow black-cinder track.

With cuts on his thigh and back, Alvord stepped into the blocks for the 220 just 25 minutes later, but he couldn't maintain a narrow lead over Dedmond and George Forsythe, finishing third in 22.1.

The field events would have belonged solely to the Cadets had it not been for Harvard's infallible one-two punch of Skip Hare and Bob Galliers, who again swept the long and triple jumps. Hare won both events, setting a meet record of 48' 51" in the triple jump.

In the running events. Army collected the bulk of its points in the sprints, winning the 100. 220, 440, and the sprint relay.

For the Crimson, Walter Johnson doubled for the fourth time by winning the intermediate hurdles, and captain Keith Colburn, John Enscoe. Dave Pottetti, and Roy Shaw took all but two of 27 possible points in the distance events.