Faculty Approves Kilson's Proposal Supporting Nader

By Scott W. Jacobs

With only a trace of opposition, the Faculty yesterday passed the Kilson resolution urging the Corporation to support Campaign GM in the upcoming shareholders proxy fight.

The endorsement came on a voice vote after a surprisingly short 15 minutes of speeches backing the resolution.

The Faculty's approval is the last in a long series of Campaign GM endorsements which have been sent to the Corporation advising it on how Harvard should vote its 287,119 shares of GM common stock.

On Monday 54 members of the School of Public Health, representing a majority of the faculty, also signed a petition in support of Campaign GM.

Harvard Ecology Action, the Young People's Socialist League, and the Harvard Environmental Law Society originally petitioned the Corporation to endorse two Campaign GM resolutions which appear on the official General Motors proxy statement.

Alumni Poll

A poll of alumni in the April Harvard Alumni Bulletin showed 800 of 1400 responses in favor of the two Campaign GM proposals. A similar poll in Lowell House showed a 3 to 1 margin of students favoring the resolutions.

The Kilson resolution, which asks Harvard to support the two resolutions, also passed the student-Faculty Committee on Community Relations and the Faculty Docket Committee two weeks ago.

The Corporation will not meet, however. until May 18, just four days before the GM annual meeting in Detroit where all proxies will be counted. The Corporation's final decision is not expected until then.