Few Men Leave Radcliffe; Eleven Spaces Are Open

No more than 11 Harvard men, probably all Mather House sophomores, will be allowed to move to Radcliffe next semester.

Genevieve Austin, Radcliffe Dean of Residence, said yesterday that only 11 of the 300 Harvard men now at Radcliffe have indicated a desire to return to Harvard at the end of the semester.

"All those who responded expressed House preferences for their old Houses," said Austin. It is not clear, however, if the preferences will be honored. "The whole thing depends upon whether or not they're allowed back to Harvard."

Nothing to Happen

Dean Epps agreed with Austin, stressing that "nothing will happen until we have placed those men wishing to return to Harvard."

Sources in the Housing Office said that "around 30 Mather sophomores had applied for the move," and that 80 or 85 Harvard students had applied altogether.

"Only eight or nine men will probably come to Radcliffe," Austin said, "since we have to make room for women coming back from leave."

Epps emphasized that he would like to finish the whole process by the beginning of next term. He said that because of the overload of sophomores at Mather House, they would get first preference in moving to rooms vacated by returning Harvard men. "After we're done with all of this, we'll have to see whats left of the Mather problems,'" Epps said.

Fair Play

While Austin also said that Mather sophomores would get preference, other people were not so sure. Zeph Stewart, Master of Lowell House, who has four of the returning Harvard men, said "naturally, we expect a switch. We can't take four more people into the House unless we get four to move to Radcliffe. It's very likely that we will not be able to take them back."