Stickmen to Take On Strong Wildcat Squad

By Evan W. Thomas

The hockey team will be trying to end a two-game losing streak when it hosts a respectable, but underdog, U. N. H. squad at 8 p. m. tonight at Watson Rink.

Since Harvard is more or less on a par with the three teams which have beaten U. N. H.-B. U., Cornell, and Clarkson-the Crimson should be the clear favorite at Watson Rink tonight.

Unfortunately, a once extremely promising season for the Crimson has yielded a respectable but disappointing 7-3-1 record that no one is too happy about. It's hard to tell how much the frustrating outcomes of three out of the last four games will affect the Crimson tonight.

The Harvard players may take out their anger on U. N. H. and murder the Wildcats, or they may skulk to another defeat. They may return to their pre-vacation excellence and come away with a solid victory.

No Pushover

It's unlikely that U. N. H. will go down easily. The Wildcats have won ten out of their 13 games this season. Although they lost to B. U., Clarkson, and Cornell by considerable margins, they had little trouble defeating Dartmouth, B. C., and St. Lawrence and slaughtering a variety of lesser teams.

U. N. H. relies on a powerful attack to compensate for a weak, thin defense. Forward Lew Friegon trails only Cornell's Kevin Pettit in points scored per game, and four of the Wildcat forwards have totaled over 30 points so far this season. U. N. H., however, has needed every point to keep winning. The inexperienced defense and goalie Bob Smith have given away almost four goals a game.

Harvard's high-powered offense should riddle the Wildcats' defense, but it won't if the senior line doesn't continue to return to its pre-vacation potency. And with only five goals in 11 games, the third line is more than overdue to put a few in. The second line is flying. All three linemates are scoring now, and the sophomores are playing better defensively than either of the other two lines, relinquishing only two goals all season.