Cagers Travel to Annapolis; Hope to Repeat Previous Win

By Jonathan P. Carlson

With its first full week of practice in a month completed, the Harvard basketball team travels to Annapolis tomorrow night for an 8 p.m. game with Navy.

"This has been a very productive week for us." said head coach Bob Harrison yesterday. "We've worked hard on our defense and our fast break and there has been noticeable improvement in both those areas. We hope to put it together against Navy," he said.

Last year, Harvard ran up a 92-73 triumph over the Midshipmen, and forward Brian Newmark hit 11-of-13 from the floor to pace the Crimson with 25 points. This year, Newmark will be in the starting lineup again-partly due to last year's performance and partly because he's played well in Harvard's recent contests.

Newmark, who has good moves underneath, will provide the Crimson with experience on the boards that could give it a rebounding edge. Navy's frontline is as tall as Harvard's, so the experience factor could make the difference either way.

Navy, whose leading scorer 6' 2" senior Jack Conrad is averaging 19 points a contest, plays a controlled, disciplined game that propelled them to a 23-point victory over a weak Washington and Lee squad Wednesday night. Navy has the same record, 6-8, that Harvard has, and plays the pattern type of offense that has given Harvard teams trouble in the past.

However, the Crimson has a definite personnel advantage over the Midshipmen. If Harvard plays up to that potential. Navy will have a difficult time staying in the game.

"One thing that's improved along with our defense and our fast break." said Harrison, "is the team's attitude. They want to win this one big, so that we can go into the Dartmouth game on Tuesday confidently. We're all shooting to be 8-8 before exams."