Indian Funds

ferior textbooks, and poor libraries."

"We have even had instances of overt discrimination, times when Indians have been beaten, or when handicapped children have had to walk three miles because the local school has refused to pick them up," Yudof added.

Although the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) has not yet offered comment on the charges, the report has already had some impact. Federal officials met with the 12 Indian members of an ad hoc committee formed to follow up on the report's accusations.

"It is not our place as whites to tell Indians what to do. We hope the Indian leaders will disseminate information within the Indian community. Our report has given the problem a high degree of visibility." Yudof said.

"I personally feel that the public schools are systematically incapable of aiding Indians. Also, the degree of mistreatment has been underestimated. People don't seem to recognize the colonial administration of Indians by the BIA. I would hope that Indians will have an increased consciousness and assume direct control," Yudof added.