Crimson Grabs ECAC Victory

By Evan W. Thomas

Defense, the one preseason uncertainty for Harvard's hockey team, proved to be the decisive factor as the Crimson swept Yale, 6-2, and Clarkson, 2-0, to win the ECAC Holiday Hockey Tournament two weeks ago at Madison Square Garden.

Goalie Bruce Durno continued to play superbly, gaining his third shutout in four games in the finale. But though Durno won the tournament's MVP award for his expertise, the key to Harvard's victory perhaps lay more with the inexperienced defensemen.

One-year veteran Davy Jones and newcomers Andy Burnes, Kevin Hampe, and Doug Elliott limited Clarkson to nine shots and proved that Harvard has enough balance to make it one of the two or three teams to beat in the East.

Bob McManama picked up the winning goal of the tournament, rapping in the rebound of Dave Hynes' shot off a power play at 5:30 of the final game's opening period.

Clarkson's rough, close-checking brand of Canadian hockey brought the Golden Knights five penalties in the second period, and Harvard had numerous chances to capitalize again on the power play. But Clarkson's All-American goalie, Bruce Bullock, who had 38 saves that night, continually denied the Crimson.

Billy Corkery finished off the suspense midway through the third period. Taking a pass from McManama, Corkery walked in all alone, deked Bullock, and shoveled the puck over the prostrate goalie to give Harvard a 2-0 edge.

The goal was Corkery's third of the tournament. His scoring spree broke a five-game drought which he had endured while his linemates were scoring regularly. In picking up the final goal, Corkery managed to do what four other Harvard players had failed to do-beat Bullock on a breakaway.

Harvard's first performance in the tournament bore little resemblance to its final effort. After rolling to a 3-0 lead in the first ten minutes of play, the Crimson cooled off and nearly came down to Yale's sloppy playing style.

Harvard took 56 shots to the Elis' 26, but never managed to really run up the score as the Yale goalie, Bill Fitzsimmons, blanked the Harvard power play time and again in the third period.