Indians, Big Red Pace Ivies With 2-0 Marks

Cornell and Dartmouth thwarted last minute rallies to preserve weekend victories and move to the top of the Ivy League standings. The Big Red and Big Green are the only remaining undefeated teams after two weeks of competition.

Dartmouth jumped to a quick 10-0 first quarter lead against lowly Brown in Providence, but the Bruins stymied the Indian's offense for three periods and nearly pulled off the Ivy upset of the season. Trailing 10-7 in the fourth period, Brown marched to the Dartmouth 30, but the drive stalled with 48 seconds remaining.

In the final statistics, Brown had an offensive advantage over Dartmouth, 239 yards to 227 yards, but two Dartmouth interceptions foiled the Bruins' scoring drives.

Yale was not as fortunate as Cornell and Dartmouth, Leading 14-0 in the third period, the Elis watched Columbia rally for two touchdowns, the final tally coming with only 96 seconds on the scoreboard.

Playing for the win rather than the tie, the Lions' Don Jackson handed off to halfback John Sefcik on a halfback option, and the Columbia receiver threw to teammate Mike Jones for the winning two-point conversion.

Reeling from three straight embarassing losses, Princeton found the right offensive combination and a quarterback to deal Colgate a stiff 35-12 shellacking.

All-Ivy back Hank Bjorklund had his finest afternoon of the season, running for 196 yards and three touchdowns on just 28 carries. The Tigers left Rod Plummer on the bench and turned to sophomore quarterback Jim Flynn, who completed 9 of 16 passes for 129 yards while directing a well-balanced attack.

Bjorklund is now only 45 yards away from Princeton's career rushing record, set by Dick Kazmaier from 1949 to 1951.

Penn dropped its second start in a row as the Quakers were surprised by little Lafayette, 17-15, for the first time since 1923. Lafayette built an early 17-0 halftime lead and coasted to the victory. The final score was closer than the actual battle, though, for Penn scored with less than a minute to play to erase an embarrassing ten-point deficit.

Next week's contests should clearly define the leading contenders for the Ivy title. Cornell meets Yale and Harvard hosts Dartmouth on Saturday. Victories for the Elis and the Crimson would create, at least, a four-way race again. Victories for the Big Green and Red could eliminate all outside contenders.