Epoxy on the Structural Supports

Construction costs on the uncompleted Undergraduate Science Center will rise approximately $20,000 over previous estimates according to Richard D. Leahy, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for Resources and Planning, as 407 gallons of epoxy replaced cement as joining between concrete planks and structural beams.

The substitution was decided on in July, as a response to revised Massachusetts building codes strengthening new buildings against possible earthquakes, said Leahy. Epoxy will also be used to fill cracks in the pre-cast concrete building slabs once they develop, said William S. Gardiner, Deputy Director of Buildings and Grounds.

The increase in cost resulting from the substitution was termed a "small fraction of the total cost" of the Center by Bernard Budiansky, McKay Professor of Structural Mechanics, and structural consultant at the July review session. The total cost of the center, scheduled for completion by September, is estimated at $17.6 million, exclusive of laboratory equipment.

In the Red

Financial difficulties have marked the history of the Center over the past several years. An early fund raising effort, the Program for Science in Harvard College, fell conspicuously short of its $48 million target, receiving only $33 million in pledges. A proposed $13.5 million biochemistry building was cancelled before ground was broken in June 1970. Lack of sufficient funds was the reason cited.

By last April, a task group was established by Dean Dunlop to investigate more intensive use of the facilities in order to offset to a degree the high cost involved in its construction.

Faculty discontent with the Center, its facilities and location has also been widespread. The Biology department, with George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology its most outspoken representative, complained of the great distances separating the Center from other Biology research facilities.

Keeps Ticking

Despite such financial and teaching obstacles, however, construction on the Center continues, plagued by mid-course changes and occasional miscalculations in the pre-casting of concrete slabs. Gardiner explained the latter difficulty by saying, "It's not like making a watch. These things happen occasionally."

Stiffening

All concrete panels, plus many decorative feature of the Center, are being cast in plants in Littleton and Springfield, Gardiner said. Once they are delivered to the construction site, the mis-casting becomes obvious. Panels that don't fit must be sent back to the casting plant to be redone. Such problems have occurred at least twice. Gardiner said.

Leahy said the substitution of epoxy for cement grouting conforms to the new state law despite the fact that the Center is exempted from the new building code. Construction contracts were signed before the new law went into effect. "The epoxy was substituted to provide stiffening" against lateral strees, Leahy said.

Improvement?

The substitution of epoxy for cement grouting, although it will drive costs upward once again, was nonetheless intended as a further improvement in the Center's controversial construction. "It seemed a prudent thing to do," concluded Leahy.