Northeastern U. Trustees Postpone Dedication by Attorney Gen. Mitchell

Attorney General John N. Mitchell's dedication of John A. Volpe Hall at Northeastern University, scheduled for Saturday, was postponed indefinitely yesterday by the Northeastern Board of Trustees.

Possibility of violence

The trustees said in a statement released by the Northeastern President's office that they postponed the dedication because "the university was informed that it might expect several thousand radical activists from Greater Boston to descend on the University...with the real possibility of a violent confrontation which might involve injury to participants or bystanders..."

At a Student Council meeting held last Tuesday, approximately 500 students voted to demonstrate non-violently at the dedication. The Council accused Mitchell of "suppressing legitimate dissent and protest," adding that "because of the Attorney General's continued disregard for students and student issues he is not welcomed by the student body."

The Board said, "The meeting run by the Northeastern Student Council was infiltrated by substantial numbers of non-university people, with many speakers representing local chapters of the SDS and the UAG (University Action Group) urging physical disruption of the dedication activities."

Volpe cancels too

However, the Student Council statement asked that the ceremonies "not be disrupted and no violence occur on campus." The council will hold a press conference at 10 a.m. today to release a new statement and to further explain its position on the issue.

John A. Volpe, Secretary of Transportation for whom the building is named, was also scheduled to speak at the dedication.