A MATTER OF DICTATORSHIP

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I found your editorial on China sick and disgusting. Let us get straight just what you advocate: that the United States should not only acquiesce in the expulsion of Taiwan from the United Nations, but should abrogate its defense treaty with that nation, making a military takeover by Mainland China inevitable. To back this argument for betrayal you use an obscure bad analogy with Yemen and some facile generalizations from international law. (Regular readers of the Crimson may have found this nice concern for the law somewhat ironic.) I suppose, however, that you are right in saying that there would not be a bloodbath in Taiwan unless the survivors were unwise enough to resist consolidation: they would instead be simply shipped off to some scenic part of Tibet for reeducation.

It is true that Taiwan is a dictatorship--an incredibly prosperous one. But its feeble attempts at repression seem absurd beside Mainland China's genocide, mass executions and theocratic thought control. As a believer in individualism and responsibility I find your ideas nauseating. Whoever wrote them should crawl back under his rock. Park Chamberlain '72