Booters to Face Former Ivy Champs

By Eric Pope

The Harvard soccer team plays at Brown today, and although the Bruins are only 1-2-2 in Ivy action, they still pose a major threat to Harvard's hopes for a share of the Ivy League title.

Brown was Ivy League champion for six straight years from 1963 to 1968. Last year the Bruins finished second when Harvard beat them, 2-1. The two teams met again in the NCAA regional play-offs, and once again Harvard won, 2-1.

Last Saturday Brown lost to Cornell, 2-1. "Our main problem is the lack of scoring punch," Brown coach CliffordStevenson said. "In several of the games we've lost this season, we outshot and outplayed our opponents. In the Cornell game we could easily have scored two more goals."

Brown's overall record is 5-4-2. Harvard is 8-1-0 on the season, and 4-1-0 in the Ivy League.

Harvard's ability to stand up under the pressure of Brown's fast and aggressive style of play. Charlie Thomas will start, although he has not fully recovered from his ankle injury. Felix Adedeji is still suffering from a groin pull, and cannot be depended on to play the whole game.

The key factor in the game will be Emanuel Ekama is unable to play, and Nourie Harrower, Chris Wilmot, Shep Messing, and Rick Scott will all be playing at less than full strength.

Russ Bell and Ric LaCivita will be the starting linkmen, and Ron Padmore, Bahman Mossavar-Rahmani and Henry Sideropoulos will fill in as needed on the line or as linkmen.

"Russ Bell played a great game against Tufts; he was all over the field. And LaCivita is a great hustler," coach Bruce Munro said, "but on the line we just haven't had the time to work these new guys in."

Brown plays out of a 5-2-3 formation, but it is likely that they will shift out of it to stop Harvard's high-scoring linement. "We have a few tricks up our sleeves, but we definitely won't be playing a defensive game." Stevenson said. "We don't have the individual skills of Harvard, but we have a multiple type of offense."

Bill Frost leads Brown in scoring with six goals: Chip Young has five goals, and Brooks Warren has four. The leading Harvard scorers are Adedeji (12 goals, 4 assists), Chris Papagianis (8 goals, 6 assists) and Phil Kydes (7 goals, 3 assists).

"This game will be a test of the good American High School player against Harvard's foreign players," Stevenson said.

A loss to Harvard today will damage Brown's chances to get an NCAA regional play-off berth. "We deserve to make the play-offs even if we lose," Stevenson said, "And if we beat Harvard we should be ranked first in New England."

If Harvard wins, it will be assured of the top ranking in New England and the home field advantage in both play-off games that goes along with it.

A victory against Brown also keeps Harvard in contention for the Ivy League crown. If Cornell beats Penn next week, and Harvard beats Yale as expected, there would be a three-way tie for first place.