Villanova Favored in IC4A's Run; Harriers Place Hopes on Koerner

By E.j. Dionne

No one running in today's IC4A's can remember a time when Villanova didn't win the IC4A's in cross country. That's because Villanova has taken the race for the last nine years.

And the chances are good that the Wildcats will win again today in the 62nd annual running of the meet at New York City's Van Cortland Park. The race begins at 1:30 p.m.

Marty Liquori and John Hartnett will be the men to watch. In their last meet, Villanova overwhelmed the Quantico Marines, and Hartnett led the pack with a very strong performance. Liquori was out with an injury.

The Crimson is sending down a team consisting of Mike Koerner. Ric Rojas. John Quirk, Marshall Jones, Jere Hines, and Fred Linsk.

"Our best chances lie with individuals like Mike Koerner," assistant coach Ed Stowell said last night. Koerner is likely to be the only Harvard runner who will break into the top 15.

Villanova will receive its stiffest competition from Penn and Penn State. Penn State defeated Villanova early in the season when several of the Wolverines were suffering from injuries and sickness. Greg Fredericks, IC4A three and six mile champ, is Penn State's prime candidate for top honors.

Penn has run all over the Ivy League, and coach Jim Tuppeny said last night "We'll be in the thick of it." Tuppeny said that the Quakers's victory in the Heps last week "restored the confidence of the team."

Penn's top runners are Karl Thornton. Dennis Fikes, Dave Merrick and Bob Childs. Against Harvard at Van Cortland on October 2, they crossed the finish line in a dead heat. Penn won its last IC4A title in 1929.