Radcliffe Ratifies Constitution Changing Objectives of RUS

The new Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) constitution was ratified last week by a large majority of the Radcliffe women voting--744 affirmative votes out of a total of 823 ballots.

The constitution stresses the role of RUS in supporting the interests of undergraduate women in the University and updates its system of representation.

"The new constitution sets down the way RUS has evolved in the past year," said Janet M. Edwards, president of RUS. The old constitution had "absolutely no relevance" to the present form of the organization, she said.

RUS will now attempt to "represent, support and encourage the interests of undergraduate women at the university," according to the new document. The constitution calls for RUS to initiate programs of interest to women. Many of the functions which RUS once performed in its capacity as a student governmental body have been taken over by the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life.

Officially including the women living in the Harvard houses in its new system of representation, the constitution provides for one legislature member from each Harvard house and each living unit at Radcliffe.

A slate of candidates for the executive offices of RUS will now be chosen by the legislature from among its members. But any Radcliffe student can get on the ballot by submitting a petition with 25 signatures.

Deborah C. Gordon '74, coordinator of the election, said yesterday the nominating procedure change is an attempt to make RUS a "stronger and more cohesive organization."

Edwards cited several ways in which RUS has begun to represent the interests of Radcliffe women in the past year. Last spring the group was instrumental in changing the housing plan under which women could move to Harvard houses. RUS also helped to finance the women's center at North House this fall, she said.