Matmen Rally to Upset Springfield, 17-15

By M. DEACON Dake

Rallying to take the final three matches, Harvard's varsity wrestling team upset Springfield, 17-15, last night to become the first New England squad since 1959 to beat this annual power-house. Decisions won by Rich Starr, Dave Scanlon, and Tom Tripp in the last three bouts erased a 15-8 Chief lead and nailed down the Crimson's tenth win of the season against four defeats. Each team took five matches but Harvard's margin of victory came on a pin at 134 pounds by Josh Henson, who recorded the only fall of the meet.

"It was a great win for us," coach John Lee said. "I'd rather beat these guys than almost anybody." The victory was especially welcome after the Crimson had been so soundly trounced by Hofstra last week, 26-6.

The Harvard win was also highlighted by the return of Dean Sheppard, who was back to compete at 158 pounds after taking the fall semester off. He notched a key, 3-2, victory over the Chief's Doug LeRoy to keep the Crimson in contention before the deciding three bout rally. "I thought I was in pretty good shape, this being my first match of the year," Sheppard said.

The loss dropped Springfield's record to 5-7-1. "I know it would be close but I didn't think they'd get a pin at 134 pounds and I thought we'd win at 158 pounds," Chief coach Doug Parker revealed. "But I have to give Harvard credit, every guy was up for this one and they all gave a real good effort."

Harvard found itself behind 6-0 after two matches, but this was expected since Springfield's Bill Metts. 118 pounds, and Ray Farrari, 126 pounds, were both New England freshman champions last year. Henson put the Crimson down by a point as he pinned Ed Metzger.

Henson was in complete control and way ahead in points when Metzger attempted an escape by rolling out of Henson's grasp. Henson, the stronger of the two, held on. After two and a half sommersaults. Metzger found his entire body supported vertically by his own neck. Three seconds later at 4:58 the bout was over.

Close Decisions

Before Sheppard's victory at 158 pounds, Jon Peters and captain Pat Coleman, wrestling at 142 and 150 pounds respectively, both lost close decisions. Mark Faller entered his match at 167 pounds with an injured shoulder he suffered against Hofstra's unbeaten Bill Stauffer. He had not been able to practice all week due to the injury. Last night he seemed to be bothered by it as he lost his second match of the year. Mickey Lint, wrestling two weight class above his normal bracket, nipped last year's NCAA quarter-finalist, 5-3.

In the Crimson's finishing flurry, all three wrestlers completely dominated their opponents. Starr, 177 pounds, disposed of Craig Stone, 9-1, and Dave Scanlon, back from a knee injury at 190 pounds, crushed Doug Maser, 7-3. Heavyweight Tom Tripp was excellent as he brought the Crimson from a one-point deficit to its sweetest win of the season as he outmuscled the Chiefs' Russ Pollard, 6-1.