Abzug Will Speak at Teach-In

Rep. Bella S. Abzug (D-N. Y.), and Cynthia K. Frederick, a member of the Committee of Concerned Asian Scholars and a recent visitor to both North and South Vietnam, have agreed to speak at the February 22 teach-in at Harvard.

Abzug, who represents New York's 19th Congressional District, was National Legislative Director of the Women's Strike for Peace before her upset election last November.

Frederick is a former teaching fellow at Harvard who was expelled from South Vietnam last year after she attended a meeting of a nationwide group of South Vietnamese students who advocated a program more militant than that of the NLF.

"I think the teach-in should be the first step toward moving to get decisive control of the power structure," Abzug said last night over the phone from her Washington office.

"Look, you've got the 18-year-old vote, and together with the women, the poor, and the minorities, it can be done," she continued.

"We need a strong resurgence on and off the campus to get 218 members of the House of Representatives and 51 members of the Senate to act to end the war who will do so if pressured by such a coalition to set a date certain to insure withdrawal from Indochina," Abzug mused.

Stephen H. Kaplan '69, a first-year law student and a spokesman for the Indochina Teach-In Committee, said last night that teach-in activity all over the nation is increasing.

Speakers at a teach-in scheduled at Yale for the 22nd include Averill Harriman, Ramsey Clark, Allard K. Lowenstein and Ronald V. Dellums, first-term black Congressman from Berkeley, California.

Sen. Edmund S. Muskie (D-Maine) will head a group of speakers at the University of Pennsylvania on the following night. On February 24, Julian Bond and others will speak at a teach-in for three universities in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.