Fencers Beat Judges Squad

By Martin R. Garay iii

The most exciting moves in last night's fencing farce between Brandeis and Harvard did not occur on the strips. While the Crimson stumbled to a 16-11 win, a well-shaped girl in bright red pants would occasionally walk to the door and yawn. Most of the eyes in the IAB fencing room followed the red pants, oblivious to the fencing.

It was the Crimson's fourth match in five days, and none of the Harvard fencers seemed too excited about it.

The heat in the fencing room was oppressive, and many of the fencers stripped down to T-shirts when not on the strips. Emile Godfrey sat in the audience talking to the girl with the red pants. Larry Gefrulo and Terry Valenzuela performed stage tricks, and even coach Edo Marion sat languidly in the corner, open-collared.

Although the 16-11 score is fairly close, the match was decided in the first round when the Crimson won eight out of nine bouts. After that, coach Marion replaced the first-string squad with second and third-string fencers. Brandeis had trouble with them, too.

There were some bright spots in the match, however. Sophomore Don Valentine put on an excellent performance as he won all three of his bouts, giving his opponent only three touches.

"Earlier in the season, I was depending mostly on my speed. In recent weeks. I've been developing my technique, and tonight, they both came together. The union should prove to be fruitful in coming weeks." Valentine said some what excitedly just before he destroyed his last opponent, 5-0.

Dave Fichter, the only Crimson fencer to lose in the first round, won his last two bouts coming from behind. "He's going to be good," co-captain Mickey Irvings said after Fichter had won his final bout.