Wrestlers Nip Yale, 19-15

Eli Coach Makes Starr Shave Moustache

By M. DEACON Dake

Key victories by Captain Pat Coleman and Collin Mangrum lifted the Harvard varsity wrestling team to a 19-15 victory over Yale last night in New Haven to all but clinch a ? for second place in the Ivy League. Both Yale and the Crimson now hold 4-4 Leagne records and trail defending champion Princeton which stands 5-0. The Bulldogs meet the Tigers on Saturday but are given almost no chance of an upset. while Harvard entertains fourth place Pennsylvania.

Last night's Crimson victory was an emotion packed match filled with unexpected wrinkles and one element bordering on the bizarre. "I was a little afraid that after we did such a good job against Princeton and lost, we might not be up for this one, "Harvard coach John Lee said.

Instead of being down, Harvard was very strong and wrestled perhaps its best match of the year After losing the first match. the Crimson's Gerry Kahrilas tied the contest at 3-3, with a 6-1 decision at 126 pounds.

In one of the best matches of the night, two second team All-Ivy competitors met in an expected tight bout. Harvard's Coleman edged the Bulldogs' Terry Brown, 5-3, as the Elis' ace was awarded two points riding time after a frantic third period, After suffering a pin of 150 pounds, Harvard shot out to a four point lead as Mangrum pulled off the upset of the night by beating Eli ?ap?ain Ch?is Legg, 7-6. A third Period reversal and near fall gave Mangrum the win.

Mark Faller disposed of the Elis' Ralph Childersion at 167 pounds. His 8-2 decision stretched the Crimson lead to seven points, Yale had to win the next match at 177 pounds in order to stay in contention. Bulldog coach Bert Waterman pulled all the moves in an attempt to insure the victory.

Waterman noticed a growth on the upper lip of Harvard ace Rich Starr. He demanded Starr not be allowed to compete with the moustache. The coach then tried to insert a 134 pound substitute to accept the forfeit in place of all-Ivy Al Gaby. He then shifted Gaby, who was already wrestling up one weight class. to 190 pounds to replace a weaker individual.

Harvard protested the procedure and Starr was given three minutes to clean his face. Starr shot to the dressing room brandishing an injector razor. He returned in time to meet Gaby and the two fought to a 3-3 draw.

The Crimson was now out of reach and a 1-1 draw by Dave Scanlon at 190 pounds coupled with a 9-3 defeat suffered by heavyweight Tom Tripp finished the meet, Yale's freshmen smashed Harvard, 30-3.