Athletic Directors Relax Restrictions To Allow Flexibility in Team Expenses

By Robert W. Gerlach

At a meeting last week, the Ivy League Athletic Directors passed two proposals allowing greater flexibility in athletic policy decisions at Ivy colleges.

The first proposal endorsed a motion, which now must go before the Presidents of the Ivy League, that would allow each member institution to determine its own restrictions upon freshman eligibility in varsity level competition. In the second proposal, the athletic directors recommended that certain economic restrictions upon athletic teams, passed last spring, be formulated as guidelines rather than restrictive requirements.

"The League has reversed its philosophy rather than its policy." Associate Athletic Director Baaron Pittenger said. "The restrictions were originally considered by the League to force economic savings. In some cases, however, the rules forced us to limit ourselves when there was no saving involved."

Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth have each indicated that they will maintain distinct freshman programs.

Last spring the directors passed several restrictions concerning the size of home and varsity traveling squads and the starting dates of varsity seasons. But Harvard and Yale asked that the restrictions be lifted so that each college could arrive at its own economy.

"We traditionally start our cross-country camp on September 1, but last fall the League restricted us to a September 7 start," Pittenger said. "The League meant to save us money, but the cross country team's camp is entirely paid for by the Friends of Harvard Track Harvard wasn't saving any money and the runners were just sitting around waiting."

"Now the dates and figures are recommendations that allow for flexibility." he added. "We will live up to the guidelines in all cases unless there is good reason to change them."