Penn Wins Heptagonals; Harvard Takes Second

An outstanding Pennsylvania team captured the Indoor Heptagonal track championships Saturday night, outdistancing second-place Harvard by 16 1/2 points. This is Penn's first victory in the 24-year-old meet's history.

"Penn was simply too strong for us." assistant coach Ed Stowell said last night.

Penn demonstrated its strength by scoring in every event but two. The Red and Blue also captured the two-mile relay. The final score of the 10-team meet was Pennsylvania 46 1/2: Harvard 28: Navy 24 1/2; Princeton 24 1/2; Cornell 22: Army 22; Yale 14; Brown 12; Dartmouth 10 1/2: and Columbia 4.

"We had strong performances from some of our seniors." Stowell said. "Perhaps things went a little stronger for them and a little less for us." He added, however, that the Quakers' overall strength was the deciding factor in the meet.

The Crimson took three first places. The first of these came in the mile run, which senior John Enscoe won with a time of 4: 12.5. The race started out fast, but slowed down until the last lap when Enscoe put down a strong challenge from Pennsylvania's Karl Thornton. Thornton took second place, 0.3 seconds off the pace.

The two-mile run saw strong performances by the Crimson's Tom Spengler and Jeff Brokaw. Spengler won the event while Brokaw finished third. Cornell's Jon Anderson led Spengler until the last lap when Spengler overtook the Big Red runner. Spengler nipped Anderson at the finish line. Both were clocked at 8:56.6.

Brokaw's performance was very impressive. He stayed with the leaders until the last half mile when he dropped back. His time of 9:09.4 was more than eight seconds faster than that of fourth-place finisher Dan O'Brien of Princeton.

Ed Nosal took the other first in the 35-pound shot put. He threw 61' 3 3/4". withstanding a strong challenge from Dartmonth's Bill Dineen who hurled the weight 61' 2 1/2".

Highlighting the Penn victory was the individual performance of pole vaulter Tom Blair, who was named the meet's outstanding performer with a record-breaking vault of 16' 7". The mark surpasses Blair's old Hep high of 15' 8" set last winter.