Anti-WarGroups to Protest Vice-President's Address

Boston-area peace groups plan to defy a Traffic Commission ruling and protest tonight in front of the Sheraton-Boston Hotel, where Vice-President Agnew is scheduled to speak.

Although the Traffic Commission declined again yesterday to grant a permit for the demonstration, John Fiske, first assistant corporation counsel of Boston, said that police will try to avoid making arrests.

"I think the demonstrators will be able to walk wherever they want," Fiske said yesterday.

In a statement last night, Stuart Singer, co-ordinator of the Greater Boston Peace Action Coalition, said that the Traffic Commission's refusal to grant a permit was due to "political opposition to the antiwar movement."

Who's Illegal

"In demonstrating, we're not engaged in civil disobedience," Singer added. "This is a legal demonstration, and the City is acting illegally."

Fiske denied that the action of the Traffic Commission was politically motivated. "Mayor White is a Democrat and would be delighted to see Agnew, the second most important Republican in the country, embarrassed," he said.

Plans call for demonstrators to assemble at Copley Square at 5:39 p. m. and march along Boylston Street to the area in front of the Sheraton-Boston Hotel.

Who's in Control

"It is very important to prevent trashing," Singer said. "By disciplined action we must show that we-not the cops-are in control of our movement."

After demonstrating for one-and-a-half hours, the protesters plan to march to Hayden Auditorium at B. U. for workshops on continuing action throughout the spring, Singer added.