No Irish Need Apply Newsstand Loses Survival Contest

One of the smaller newsstands near the Square closed Monday afternoon after losing a four-month battle with City officials and newspaper competitors.

There is a strong suspicion at Printed Matter, Inc., located at 1210 Mass Ave across from the Gulf station, that Square newspaper magnate Sheldon Cohen is the force behind its failure. Two weeks ago, the store circulated a green handout that said in part:

"There is little doubt that there has been a concentrated effort to put us out of business. Some of it has been subtle, some of it not so subtle. Regardless, we will continue to operate. We will continue to serve the community." However, they have not been able to do so.

The owners of the store, which has been selling newspapers, magazines and candy since November 10, have been unable to secure the necessary City permission in order to begin needed renovations.

"The customers aren't going to stand in a muddy courtyard in the rain looking at magazines," Richard Skinner, former manager of the store, said yesterday. In addition, Skinner and the owners expect the entire site to be condemned at a special meeting of the Cambridge Zoning Board tonight.