Cavanagh Takes NE, Ivy Awards

All-American forward Joe Cavanagh received top honors at the New England hockey writers dinner last night.

In addition to being named the first team center, Cavanagh was awarded the President's plaque as the outstanding forward and the Leonard M. Fowle Award as the region's most valuable player.

Cavanagh received the same recognition two years ago as a sophomore. but last year Tim Sheehy of Boston College swept the three awards. Cavanagh also was recently elected to the All-America team for the third year in a row.

Goalie Bruce Durno joined Cavanagh on the New England first team. Defenseman Dave Jones was named to the second team.

The sports writers awarded retiring coach Cooney Weiland with the Clark Hodden Award as the outstanding coach in New England and presented him with an engraved ice bucket in recognition of his 21 years with Harvard.

In Ivy League selections made earlier this week, Cavanagh was the only unanimous choice for the first team. Durno and Jones were joined on the second team by left wing Dan DeMichele who set the Ivy League scoring record this year with 22 goals.

Cavanagh tied the record for Ivy League assists this year with 29, and led the League in points with 40. In three seasons, he set Ivy career records for assists with 66 and points with 94.

JV coach Jim Hutchinson received the Shaeffer Pen Award last night for outstanding contribution to New England hockey.