Matmen Compete for Strauss Cup

Andy Meltzoff was a runner-up three years ago in the New Jersey state wrestling championships. Yesterday, he had to leave early from his graduate seminar in cognitive and moral development in order to win his semi-final match in the intramural wrestling tournament.

The finals of the three-day competition will be held today at 3:45 p.m. in the IAB. Meltzoff leads a strong Quincy contingent which had finalists in four of the ten weight classes. Dunster and Winthrop are the other strong contenders for the title.

"The quality of competition is very high, not gym class wrestling at all," Meltzoff said. "There are a lot of high school wrestlers out here who are a little rusty, but they know what they're doing," he added. Meltzoff will meet Peter Smith of Dunster in the 145 finals.

The 191 match between Jim Kardon of Dunster and Jim Doherty of Leverett promises to be a classic confrontation between brains and brawn. Doherty, who usually wrestles at 167, has beaten two much heavier opponents to reach the finals.

But Kardon isn't worried. "In four years at Harvard, I've learned that the only way to get anywhere is to muscle your way through. Brute force will decide, brains don't count," he said.

Kardon won the class last year, and reached the finals this year with a 1:30 pin of Jim Hevern, an All-Ivy selection at guard last fall.

Another defending champion is Ben Beach of Quincy, two-time winner in the 123 division. He faces John Grant of Winthrop. "I really admire the guy if he shows up," Beach said. "Nobody wanted to tangle with me last year."

Brian Baslik and Jon Jennet will highlight the freshman competition in the unlimited class. Baslik was fourth in the National Preps last year. and first in New England for three years in a row at 177.