Princeton's Goheen Quits Position After 15 Years as University Head

Robert F, Goheen, 51, announced plans to step down from the presidency of Princeton University yesterday, saying that "the job shouldn't be held for more than 15 years."

Goheen, Princeton '40, succeeded Harold W. Dodds as the university's 16th president in 1957. Then 37, Goheen was assistant professor of Classics and had been a member of that faculty since 1948 when he received his doctorate at Princeton. Goheen announced at the beginning of his presidency that he would retain the office for 10 to 15 years.

Goheen was not available for comment yesterday, but John Fenton, a Princeton spokesman, outlined what he considered to be Goheen's major achievements. Fenton said that Goheen helped triple faculty salaries and raise $60 million for building between 1959 and 1963.

In 1969 Goheen established the Council of Princeton University-"an advisory body bringing student, faculty, and administration representatives into the decision-making process," according to Fenton.

Fenton said that Goheen was an important figure in achieving coeducation at Princeton-establishing the key committee, "calming down" opposed alumni, and helping to raise necessary funds.

Last spring Goheen spoke in favor of the antiwar strike and approved the Princeton plan to close the university for two weeks before the November elections.

President Pusey called Goheen "a faithful and devoted servant of a great university." "Mr. Goheen has been one of the most effective of university presidents in keeping his institution alive, growing, and sound-and that is not an easy thing to do," he added.

Goheen has not announced any specific plans after his retirement which is effective not later than June 1972. He has tenure on the faculty until age 68, and may return to teaching in the Classics department.