Quincy Takes Team Crown In House Wrestling Finals

Winthrop's John Grant, combining judo, karate, and a touch of beer-hall brawl, upset two-time champion Ben Beach in the 123-??. finals to highlight the championship round of the intramural wrestling tournament held yesterday at the IAB.

Quincy paced the field, capturing two first-place finishes as well as two runner-ups, to take the team title in the three-day tournament. Winthrop and Dunster each claimed two individual winners also as they finished second and third respectively in the ten-team field.

"After hearing what he said about me in the CRIMSON yesterday, I just had to whip him." Grant said. "If I'd been in shape I would have beaten him easily."

Beach shrugged off his first setback ever in House competition, quipping "hell, even Ali had to lose sometime."

With Ease

Andy Metzoff who won the 145-lb. title, outclassing Peter Smith of Dunster. Smith, who describes himself as a "frustrated JV high school wrestler," was wrestling in the finals for the first time in three years.

David Reville's two-year-old son watched daddy win the 137-lb. championship. Marshall Jones of Dunster took the 160-lb. class with a decision over sweat-shirt cladded Herb Waite of Quincy.

In the Battle of the Behemoths, Mark Ferguson and Steve Hall, both of Quincy, grunted and groaned with Ferguson taking the unlimited crown, while Jaimie "Brute Force" Kardon of Dunster out-pointed Leverett's Jim Dougherty in the 191 finale.