NCAA Director Byers Investigates Alleged Player Signings by the ABA

By The ASSOCIATED Press

The National Collegiate Athletic Association disclosed Friday it is conducting a probe of reported premature signings of college basketball players to professional contracts by the American Basketball Association.

Walter Byers, executive director of the NCAA, attacked agents who market athletes' talents and hinted the NCAA may pursue legal action in the future as a means of getting ABA commissioner Jack Dolph under oath.

Byers said the investigation had been going on since before the rumors began circulating but to date the NCAA had not found sufficient evidence to warrant action.

He said seven leading college basketball players had been interviewed along with some coaches and Dolph and that the players had signed all-inclusive, notarized affidavits stating they had not signed professional contracts.

Of the seven players, four will play in the forthcoming NCAA basketball playoffs and another may play. Two-of the player, Byers said, are Howard Porter of Villanova and Jim McDaniels of seventh-ranked Western Kentucky. He would not identify the other five.