Icemen Beat Eli to Nab Second-Place Ivy Finish

On the strength of two hat tricks and an explosive first period, the Crimson hockey team romped over Yale, 11-2, Saturday night in New Haven to finish the Ivy League season in a tie for second place.

Dan DeMichele and Dave Hynes each scored three goals, while captain Joe Cavanagh and Bob McManama, who Jed all scorers with six points, had two goals apiece in the slaughter.

Harvard and Brown, which lost to Cornell, 5-1. Saturday, wound up with identical 9-3 records in Ivy competition-behind Cornell, which had an 11-1 mark.

Clearly outclassing the Bulldogs, the Crimson bombed Yale goalie John Cole for a phenomenal seven goals in the first period-four in the first eight minutes of play. Each of the sophomore line members-McManama, Hynes, and Bill Corkery-picked up at least one goal in the first period.

The Yale alumni who filled Ingalls Rink were witness to a rough-and-tumble last two periods, as the Bulldog players vented their frustrations in violent style. "They'd have to be frustrated. Their goalie was like a sieve," DeMichele said.

An abundance of penalties and some good goaltending by both Bruce Durno and sophomore Joe Bertagna on the few shots that came their way marked the last two periods.

The last 20 minutes saw Dan DeMichele complete his second hat trick in a row against Yale and break the Ivy single-season goal record. DeMichele finished with 22 goals in League play and has 30 goals so far in all games this year.

Adding another record to the many he already holds, Joe Cavanagh tied the Ivy single-season assist mark of 29.